We have a number of newer members in the gym who maybe just nodding and smiling and thinking to themselves, what the heck are these people talking about…. So we wanted to post some of the crazy CrossFit lingo to help out!
- AMRAP: As Many Rounds (or Reps) as Possible
- Buy In:CrossFit Warm-up
- BS: Back squat
- BW (or BWT): Body weight
- Cash Out: Cool Down or Accessory work after the WOD
- CFT: CrossFit Total (A best of three attempts at a 1RM of (Press/DL/BS)
- CF: CrossFit
- CFHQ: CrossFit Headquarters
- CLN: Clean
- C&J: Clean and jerk
- C2: Concept II rowing machine
- DL: Deadlift
- DNF: Did Not Finish
- EMOM: Every Minute on the Minute
- FS: Front squat
- GHD: Glute hamstring developer. A device that allows for posterior chain exercise, such as a hip extension, sit-up or a back extension.
- GPP: General physical preparedness, aka “fitness.”
- HC: Hang Clean
- HPC: Hang Power Clean
- HSPU: Hand stand push up. Kick up into a handstand (use wall for balance, if needed) bend arms until nose touches floor and push back up.
- KB: Kettlebell
- KTE: Knees to elbows. Similar to TTBs described below.
- MetCon: Metabolic Conditioning workout
- MU: Muscle ups. Hanging from rings you do a combination pull-up and dip so you end in an upright support.
- NAFC: Not a F’ing clue
- OHS: Overhead squat. Full-depth squat performed while arms are locked out in a wide grip press position above the head and in line or slightly behind the ears.
- PC: Power clean
- Pd: Pood, weight measure for kettlebells
- PR: Personal record
- PP: Push press
- PJ: Push Jerk
- PSN: Power snatch
- PU: Pull-ups, possibly push ups depending on the context
- Rep: Repetition. One performance of an exercise.
- RFT: Rounds for time
- Rx’d; as Rx’d: As prescribed; as written. WOD done without any adjustments.
- RM: Repetition maximum. Your 1RM is your max lift for one rep. Your 10 RM is the most you can lift 10 times. (Commonly found in WOD’s as 1RM/3RM/5RM etc.)
- SDHP: Sumo Deadlift High Pull
- Set: A number of repetitions. e.g., 3 sets of 10 reps, often seen as 3×10, means do 10 reps, rest, repeat, rest, repeat.
- TTB: Toes to bar. Hang from bar. Bending only at waist raise your toes to touch the bar, slowly lower them and repeat.
- WOD: Workout of the day
Some other terms you might hear:
- The “Girls” : A series of benchmark workouts created by CFHQ that are universally known among the CF community.
- The “Heroes” : A Hero workout is a tribute workout in honor of a fallen CrossFitter (either Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, Firefighter, Police officer) that died in the line of duty. They’re tough and among the most difficult of WOD’s. There are sadly too many of them.
- Tabata Interval: A workout of 8 intervals alternating 20 seconds of max rep work with 10 seconds of rest. Total is 4 minutes per exercise. Score the lowest interval rep count.
Thursday July 20, 2017
16 Minutes every 4 minutes on the minute
- High Hang power Clean + Hang power Clean + Clean + Push Press
- High Hang Clean + Hang Clean + Clean + Push Jerk
- High Hang Clean + Hang Clean + Clean + Split Jerk.One set consists of all 12 reps. Try not to drop the bar during the entire set. If you must drop after the overhead movements, it’s allowed – just be quick to get back on the bar. 5 minutes to complete each set and try to increase weight after each set.
Workout Of the Day:
9 min Amrap
Hang Clean & Jerk 135/95
MB Sit ups 20/14
Lvl 2 Fitness
Hang clean & Jerk 95/65
MB Sit Ups
Lvl 1 Technique
Med ball Cleans 20/14
Med Ball Sit Ups
Lvl 4 Competitor
Hang Clean & Jerk 135/95 ( all hang must be unbroken or restart, can not move on unless completed unbroken)
MB Sit ups 20/14
Check back each night at 8pm for the next days WOD