As you may of noticed, we have a box for the annual food drive at the front of the gym. We greatly appreciate all and any food item, and are very grateful for the items already donated.
That being said, I (Bill) would like to some more real food items this year instead of the less nutritious food items that are common with food drives (i.e. kraft dinner, candy, cereal). Remember, people that need some assistance with food still would like to have nutritious choices to feed their families as well. The items I listed below are actually the best bang for your buck in regards to providing the most nutrient dense calories.
So what are some better suggestions for the drive:
- Canned vegetables like sweet potatoes, pumpkin, tomatoes, or any other veggie
- Canned meats
- Canned coconut milk
- Coconut oil
- Almond or coconut meal/flower
- Nuts (not peanuts) and nut butters
- Baby food
- Can wild fish like salmon, sardines, anchovies and even canned crab meat and oysters
- Canned soup stocks
- White rice
- Olive oil
- Tea and ground coffee
- Household products
- Baby diapers (I know not a food item but always needed for these drives)
Lets submit the most nutrient dense food donation the drive has ever seen!
And for meals on to go: Here is a great slowcooker meal to make before you hit the gym to get a great source of starchy carbs post-workout: